2. We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
3. A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
4. A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money.
5. Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
6. Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer from poor people in rich countries to rich people in poor countries.
7. Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
8. Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavours to live at the expense of everybody else.
9. Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
10. I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts.
11. If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free.
12. If you want government to intervene domestically, you're a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you're a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you're a moderate. If you don't want government to intervene anywhere, you're an extremist.
13. In general, the art of government consists in taking as much money as possible from one party of the citizens to give to the other.
14. Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you.
15. No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session.
16. Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.
17. The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other.
18. The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of the blessings. The inherent blessing of socialism is the equal sharing of misery.
19. The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin.
20. The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
21. There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress.
22. What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
23. When buying and selling is controlled by legislation, the first things bought and sold are legislators.
Back to Main Page